Hello Loose shoppers,
We'd like to take a moment to celebrate not just the re-opening of shops and pubs today, but the amazing humble flaxseed, one of our many healthy versatile ingredients at Loose.
Firstly, flaxseeds are the same as linseeds. And flax meal is just another name for ground flaxseeds.
In Gala's Organic Kitchen's opinion, flaxseeds are the most effective, affordable, handy and tasty superfood to enjoy every day!
Why are flaxseeds so good for us?!?
Because flaxseeds (when ground):
- are a potent source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- they provide such an awesome amount of fibre that helps keep our bowels happy, and helps our body absorb vitamins and minerals.
- assists with bowel movements (do not overeat them; stick to 1-3 tablespoons per day).
- contain phytoestrogens called lignans which are anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-microbial and neuro-protective! Wow, so cool.
- can help with inflammation (studies have shown).
- can help with weight loss/balance (studies have shown).
- are great for people with blood pressure problems (studies have shown).
- also have a positive effect on breast cancer therapy support (studies have shown).
- may reduce tumor-proliferation rates (prostate cancer)
- the list goes on but let's leave it at this.
You get their optimum health benefits when you grind them fresh and use them up within four months. We sell them whole and advise you to grind them up fresh at home and keep them in the fridge for optimum nutritional benefits.
It's also noteworthy that you always have to consume them mixed with water or some other liquid! As they swell up greatly. You don't want that to happen in your tummy.
What to do with ground flaxseeds?
- add a tablespoon to your smoothie or porridge every morning!
- sneak them into muesli bars, cookies and cakes.
- use in baking instead of eggs. (One vegan egg: 1 tablespoon of finely ground flaxmeal mixed with 3 tablespoons of water and left to sit and become gloopy for about 5-10 minutes, use straight away).
- you can make flax crackers; see Gala's video here!
The cookbook Lick Your Plate available at Loose also uses lots of flaxseeds, so be sure to check it out in the shop.
We wish you a cleansing, healthy and buoyant spring week!
see you soon, The Loose Team.
Photo credit green kitchen stories thank you!